Tuesday

One Two Three Four I Declare A Thumb War

I am using this video to disprove my father-in-law's theory that I am not picking my battles. Anyone who lets their child go out in public wearing this outfit has clearly given up fighting many differently types of battles. In fact, i was worried that everyone would think I had lost a battle with the bottle.

Actually, the only battle I am fighting with Olivia these days is over a very controversial issue, her thumb. I was a deeply committed thumb sucker as a child and was secretly thrilled when we had ultrasound pictures of Olivia sucking her as well. I also had really messed up teeth. So I was deeply dismayed when my dentist and my pediatrician told her that it was time to stop. I rebelled, then I researched and I found out that nobody really knows whether it causes long-term damage. An argument I tried to use on my husband who pointed out that the fact that Olivia was no longer removing her thumb to talk was problem in and of it self. So after much soul searching it was decided that we would paint Olivia's thumb with cayenne pepper and break her of the habit.

It has been excrutiating. At least she is getting a lot of sympathy from Mommy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby---its not her fault. She's a 3rd generation thumb sucker.Its in her genes. Oh I remember having my thumb painted over 50 years ago. Psst,O,it didn't stop me.
And O's parents think about this---no bride ever walks down the aisle sucking her thumb. Relax.
As for talking, seems to me O does a pretty good job of getting her point across--thumb or no thumb.

Anonymous said...

My brother sucked his thumb well into adulthood. How do I know? My mother caught him at it. I assume he quit when he went into the Marines, Parris Island.

My daughter, 37, still has a piece of blankie under her pillow. There is so little real comfort in this world that I am all for doing whatever it takes to get some, regardless of whatever small, reasonable, socially unacceptable behavior develops.

Ang said...

Liz, You are such an inspiration to me as a new mommy! Thanks again for all of your help and ideas for Angie O's shower - it was so much fun getting together and planning everything. And that video of Olivia is precious, my favorite line, "I want to see YOUR performance" She is too much. Hopefully she can teach Cooper her dance moves when you come to visit after Warrior is born. Take Care!