Thursday

What do you mean, I'm Crazy?

The following post contains no references to pap smears, but contains frequent references to anti-depressants.

SO the second half of my doctor's appointment goes like this: Olivia calmly but deliberately coloring my feet with marker while I desperately try to convince my doctor that I am not losing my mind. It all started with the to-do list. You know I likes my to-do list. So the doctor is asking me all the usual questions, how am I sleeping the cat crapped four inches from head last night at three AM and Olivia is on a sleep strike so not great, am I getting enough exercise does nine thousand trips up and down the stairs to do all the extra laundry count, how is my diet (I think I ate a Peeps marshmallow today, ooh and a glass of juice-definitely the juice and she asks me to schedule a cholesterol test, blah, blah, blah so I pull out my to-do list and write it down.

That is where it all goes wrong. What is that, she calmly inquires, too calmly. My to-do list. That is a rather long list. Well, you know how it is when you have kids. Let's review your family history she says non-chalantly. Then I notice all the questions about substance abuse, then it is questions about my alcohol intake at which point I make the tactical decision to exclude last weekend's bender from my statements. She asks me how many times a day I feel anxious. Are you kidding me? I am the mother of the brainiac who just answered your developmental questionnaire in three different languages and tried to fly this morning. It is anxiety inducing, okay. That's when I realize she thinks that I'm crazy. She tells me that I am, indeed, crazy.

I know that I should be a little more calm about such things, no biggie, clinical depression is an easily managed medical condition that requires little more than daily medication and bi-monthly check-ins with my physician. However, I am really just kind of pissed about the whole thing. First of all, compared to most people I am related to that make up my, oh so important family medical history, I am doing pretty damn good. I have a happy marriage, a house, I have not yet completely fucked up my kid and I am a relatively together person. Second, my being a little type-a is hardly news and I have been scoring off the charts on those stupid depression questionnaires for decades so what if like to-do lists and think about killing myself on a daily basis? So do, well, other people, I'm sure they are out there. And I bet they don't have to take something as lame as a medication called Celexa. Who makes these names anyway, what does that even mean? Celexa?

I say thanks, but no thanks, even if I am crazy I have gotten this far without Celexa. Then she does what a dozen doctors before her never got the chance to do, play the mommy guilt card. She beats me down with the long-term health effects of depression, how I am depriving my child of a complete person. That's when I hated her, more than a little. Now it sounds like I am crazy, vindictive person if I say no, a terrible mother. So I take the fricking prescription, I pull out my day planner to make a two week follow up, she looks at my calendar, can I make it three weeks I say, I am all booked up. You are going to feel so much better she says, that is a really full schedule, what keeps you so busy? I have a life, I say. Being crazy takes a lot of hard work.

The prescription is sitting in my purse, unfilled. My husband was totally ambiguous towards the diagnosis. Whatever, he says, do it if you want to. Aren't we all a little crazy, he says? You definitely are, I say, then we fight over whose family medical history is spottier. Olivia is really screwed, I hope when her turn to do family medical histories comes that the drugs have cooler names.

3 comments:

Mike Watters said...

Doctors love to dole out the anti-depressants.

I personally wish my doctor had told me that my effort and money would be better spent getting some personal training at the gym than buying a bunch of lousy pills. After I went freelance, I had to buy my Effexor from Canada for $53 a month! The pills worked for a long time, but then started to wear off. I knew I had to find a better solution.

The exercise has been more effective at relieving my depression, and I get the added benefit of looking "hot."

Of course, if you truly hate the exercise and love the Peeps, taking a pill might not hurt. It's like an insurance policy for your crazy.

Lynn said...

See, here's the thing. I tend to see my gyno every year when I'm in the midst of a nervous breakdown, so I usually end up hysterical when she asks me how I am. Somehow she got the impression I was depressed (don't know where that came from). She prescribed Welbutrin for me (and gave me TONS of samples). I tried it and wasn't impressed. Then I started seeing my therapist who thinks I have some depression, but mostly it's anxiety disorder that's my problem. And, lo and behold, Welbutrin makes you MORE ANXIOUS (it's an upper that they give people for depression...). Point being, I love my gyno - she's FABULOUS, but she deals with the lady parts and should stick to that. If you are seriously thinking about anti-depressants or any other kind of meds for the mental health, I highly recommend doing it with a psychiatrist. Psych meds are WAY WAY WAY too complicated and require WAY WAY WAY too much monitoring to have anyone less than an expert in the field messing around with them. The lady parts doctors are wonderful, but the head docs are wonderful too. I mean really, would you let your auto mechanic redo the plumbing in your house? Not so much.

That's just my two cents...

Anonymous said...

I know lots of people whose lives have been turned around by a simple low-dose anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, OCD, whatever. True genetically linked conditions respond incredibly to the right meds. I don't see it as any differnt than a diabetic taking insulin.

It's worth looking into if you see a history/pattern, and is definitely not meaning you're "crazy." Or any crazier than all of us....