Sunday

Hasta La Vista, Baby

Chad left today for his version of Disneyland, the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. I am not sure which is better, Las Vegas or playing with every conceivable electronic play toy imaginable. Unfortunately, his visit started of poorly and he is currently stranded in Chicago after several hours on bus thanks to a thick fog covering all of southern Wisconsin. He is taking it all in stride and watching the football game in a bar somewhere in O'Hare. Which just proves that he is a better person than I am.

Chad used to travel a lot for work when Olivia was an infant and I have some bad memories of those days. Being stranded in an apartment with someone who doesn't sleep through the night in the days before you even had the solace of a playgroup to bitch to, those were dark days. So my knee-jerk reaction to five days with my daughter was not good. I kept it to myself though because i didn't want to ruin my husband's dream trip. As it got closer, though, I really started to look forward to a few days without my husband. Our house is pretty quiet without two tvs on, and let's face it you can get away with doing very little in five days if you use the single-parent excuse.

Also, i kind of thought about the fact that this is Chad's week of vacation, what would he want to think that we are doing? I know when I am away I like to fantasize that my husband is feeding my daughter home cooked meals and cleaning up after them. I am pretty sure that my husband wants the low pressure scenario of Olivia and I ordering pizza and watching the football game. So tonight we compromised and did a low-energy dinner, took a walk and now-movie night! I am hoping the best part of trip will be coming home to a messy house, a relaxed wife, and a kid who was perfectly happy to be left alone with mom for five days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chad played with lots of toys on Monday. We even found a few that have not reached the market yet - He just may be the first person in Madison to have these things.

I got us into the Tivo "private room" and we got lots of Tivo swag for our friends and family who will of course be "thrilled" with our generous gifts, won't you Liz and Donna.

Of course the "kid" will make out like a bandit. But be reassured, we are very selective - the Kid's swag has to be "educational" and/or cute.

Two more days of playing with every toy the world has to offer. Chad has been pretty good about keeping his drool off the stuff. So far we have seen about 25% of the show.