Thursday

Dream On

Some day I will be able to pinpoint the beginning of my slow decline into madness as the moment when I first saw the HGTV Dream Home. I first was sucked into the Dream Home madness in 2003 when Chad was in his second year of law school. Now others may dispute this, but I thought the second year of law school was way worse than the first. You expect that first year to constantly have your spouse gone and when you are together you are flat broke and at each other's throats. That second year catches you off guard though. It didn't help that I was working a crappy job in a windowless office surrounded by co-workers who hated their jobs even more than I did. Enter the HGTV Dream Home.

It was big, it was beautiful and I had a new chance to enter every single day for over a month. So I did, every day. Now, the thing with the Dream Home is that it is not like winning the lottery. Most people cannot afford to actually keep Dream Home the taxes alone are exorbitant, not to mention the utilities. Yet, somehow that never entered into the fantasy. I was devastated for weeks when I didn't win and now every winter I enter into the self destructive cycle that is the Dream Home. It is now permanently tied to my depression about below zero temps, no sunlight and the doldrums of winter.

But this year it is in Islamorada, FL on the beach. It would be so sweet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be nice and not enter every day. That way we won't have a repeat performance from what happened during the Fancy Simple Challenge.

Anonymous said...

I'm so not into Florida. Let me know if it hits the West Coast.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh--- to have you in Florida. How do I enter in your name? Fingers are crossed that this is YOUR year. To hell with the taxes, hurricaine insurance,etc.