Saturday

Hierarchy of Needs

Is it just me or is their a caste system in the training program at the Starbucks? I am interested to poll my Starbucks drinking readers as their experiences with this. I walk into any freestanding Starbucks and I never have a problem. I either get the cute chipper gay boy who is beloved by all his girl friends and his parents or the quiet, thoughtful girl clerks who are probably torn between early education and social work. Yet, when I walk into any Starbucks attached to an entity IE grocery store, Target, etc, I get bubble-headed girl, who I can only imagine is employed only for the sheer fact that her parents threatened to take away her Neon if she couldn't at least pay her own gas, who freaks out if I ask for low fat or get my own straw. Or I get middle-aged, I can't work a cash register because it is too much like a computer, mom who thought it would be "fun" to wear an apron and be abused by over-caffeinated shoppers. Lastly, there is the airport Starbucks or any Starbucks that exists as a kiosk. These people always strike me as the bottom of the customer service barrel. They resent you any everything about any person who would get off an airplane and pay $3.50 for a cup of coffee.

Seriously, what happens to these people? Is there just like an open employment call and they get sorted into A, B and C teams? You don't appear particularly bright, B team for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're asolutely right, Liz. Downtown Portland has THE BEST Starbucks crews - scruffy, soulful gays; trendy punk hipster chicks; and a few rugged yet bookish straights for balance. The local Starbucks is in a Safeway and is populated by seniors during the day, and high schoolers at night making for a rigidly normal crew. Buying coffee here never felt so mundane.