Sunday

Shop locally, Eat Gluttonously

I don't want to brag, but I ate freakin' awesomely this weekend. The best part of Chad's birthday every year is that for his big day he likes to eat well. And I mean well. Last year he ate so much kobe beef that he puked. This year it was blue marlin. Yeah, I know, totally crazy and environmentally irresponsible because we did not research its overfishing status until after it was in our fridge. Being bad never tasted so good.

We attempted to make up for it by doing a boatload of shopping at several local farmer's markets the days before the big cooking weekend. i love cooking food knowing that i have met and spoken to the person who grew it for me. My grandfather constantly laughs at me that I converse at length with all the vendors, but they know how to cook the food. So all the produce, fruits and herbs that I consumed this weekend are from within 100 miles of my house. That feels better than i thought it would.

So here was the menu this weekend:

Saturday Night
Rosemary from our garden crusted roast pork loin with tomato herb risotto and patty pan squash sauteed with prosciutto, onion and parmesan

Sunday morning
Scrambled eggs, with tomatoes from our garden, our cuban oregano, onion and cheese and pancakes with homemade (at our house) huckleberry syrup

Sunday dinner
Marlin in lemon basil buerre blanc, potatoes with roasted garlic and our chives, steamed green beans and grilled sweet onions

His birthday cake? Spiced carrot cake with vanilla cream cheese frosting.

2 comments:

Sean said...

Holy Hell! I feel fat just reading that.

Liz Allman said...

Actually all meals, amazingly low fat. The buerre blanc was dangerous, but less than a tablespoon went of each serving. The cake was the only real no no.