Friday

Critical Mass Appeal

A lot of people are obsessed with those lists about yourself, some people are obsessed with top ten lists. I am the later. In case you haven't already figured it out. Angie posted about VH1's Top Songs of the 90's. Not that the 90's were the best times for music, but here is a painstaking top 10 (from the choices given to me by VH1) and the justification.

1) Beastie Boys-Sabatoge
Always awesome. To this day one of my favorites of all time. I still crank it loud and drive fast.
2) U2-One
This one deserves it because of how many times this song has been covered. Every artist ever wishes they wrote this song.
3) The Fugees-Killing Me Softly
I know this is a tough sell at #4, I would have chosen Fu gee La personally, but every fan of hip-hop cries at least once a week about the break up of this band.
4) Radiohead-Creep
You played this alone in your room after every break up too, admit it.
5) REM-Losing My Religion
Again, not my favorite REM song ever, but the video was killer weird and let's face it, they could have picked any REM song and I would have put it in the list.
6) Nirvana-Smells Like Teen Spirit-I could probably replay this video frame by frame in my mind. Nirvana probably justified the existence of every kid wearing black for twenty years.
7) Lauryn Hill-Doo Wop
I was really torn here. Two Lauryn Hill songs? I nearly picked Foo Fighters' Everlong, but then it would have been two Dave Grohl songs. What's a girl to do? I actually went back and listened to this album a few months ago and this was the one stand out.
8) Jay-Z-Can I Get A What
"Never test my patience nigga, I'm high maintenance HIGH CLASS, if you ain't rollin, bypass" It's the anthem of my life really.
9) Beck, Loser
Kooky, i loves me my Beck.
10) Missy Elliot-Can't Stand The Rain
I love when hip-hop artists remix songs I recognize from the original. I love "I Can't Stand The Rain" and was super excited to have such a classy song remixed by a female artist.

Go re-live the golden years of high school and college.

2 comments:

Barb said...

LOL. Last night at Target Brad actually asked if there was a new Missy Elliot CD. He was having some kind of a strange Missy Elliot craving.

And what ever happened to Lauryn Hill?

angieoh! said...

Sometimes, I don't know how we ever stayed friends. :) You know my feelings on U2.

Fun list...very different from mine.

heheheheh!