Thursday

My Bubbly, Bipolar Baby

Can you tell that Olivia and my lesson for the week is alliteration. Yeah, it hurts my brain sometimes too.

It is no secret that i am not the girliest of girls. Don't get me wrong, I love a mani/pedi as much as the next girl, but you would not catch me dead in make-up, glitter or any kind of pink. In fact, I looked, but unfortunately could not find, the photo of my mother and my maid of honor sitting on me on my wedding day so that my mother could apply mascara to my face and therefore be somehow vindicated for all the wrongs she done me.

But, I digress. My daughter is stuck in what I have decided is a permanent fashion crisis. At first, I would take photos of the outfits and it was cute. Now I am becoming concerned. Yesterday's outfit was a green baseball jersey, white eyelet skirt with yellow and orange butterflies, knee high purple and pink stripe socks, a red hair bow and blue galoshes with red cherries on them. The mishmash of colors isn't what alarms me. It is the bipolar personality clashes. Baseball with princess skirts, pirate eye patches with tiaras, shark shirts with tutus.

don't even post on here that I am supposed to embrace the gender bending tendencies of the enlightened 21st century that tells my daughter it is okay to love bugs and ballet. It is freaking exhausting for her parents. Ellie, her best friend, is it pink, is it princess? Then she loves it done. Us? Every trip to the store, library, etc is a crap shoot. Every time you think you have right answer, Olivia will love this book about sea creatures, she loves sharks. Nope dolphins and starfish, lame. Squid, oh they're kick ass. Irish dancers-no, flamenco-yes.

I was cleaning out her toy room today and it is just a mishmash of bizarre crap. The kid doesn't have blocks, but has has a jar full of bugs. She doesn't own a tea set, but she has like five homemade magic wands. So, yes, today is the day that i am freaking out that I have made my kid that freaky nerd who has no friends and comes to school half in pajamas half in clothes. oh marches to her own drummer is cute, until it is your kid.

2 comments:

angieoh! said...

I still think you should make a video of Olivia doing her baseball announcing - precious. simply precious.

Don't worry - Barbie has a long tradition of varied interests - it hasn't made her uncool or unfashionable.

Now if Chad turns Olivia into a technology nerd, then we will have uncurable problems (although, she can come and fix things at my house when we break them!!!)

Anonymous said...

Actually, Chad's Dad is the Engineer in the family and is most likely to help Olivia to find the world of technology fun and delightfully mysterious. Somebody has to invent the next big thing, it may as well be Olivia.

Chad's dad didn't let Olivia help with the modifications he did to the basement because the tools were still too dangerous, BUT he got his first power drill when he was five so things are on track.

:-))