Tuesday

Brain Dump

So when I am really stressed out, or just feeling generally frazzled I do what I call a brain dump. This is a term I am sure I picked up from reading one of those manage you time effectively, get more organized books that I read. It consists of just making a list of everything that is out there bugging me, nagging in the back corner of mind, or simply needs to be done right now. They are usually huge lists. I then break them down and add the things to my on-going to-do lists (I have three) and then pick one thing to do right now. It always makes me feel more in control of my life.

It never occurred to me that this was a thing to be mocked until my friend Stephanie e-mailed last night because she was watching some show about the mother of sextuplets who, obviously, needs to be very organized. Apparently, because this woman makes shopping lists and keeps an inventory of her freezer (how else do you know what's in there? I have two for God's sake) she is like me, and that was very funny to Stephanie.

I would like to say that my child has stolen my short term memory, please do not laugh at my lists, they are what keep me from wandering around and muttering to myself "Oil change, oil change, wash ballet tights, sour cream." They would put me away in the looney bin and then I would be the only one laughing, albeit maniacally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried posting before, not sure if this the 2nd post...

We actually thought you shared the characteristics of an ability to be humorous and matter of fact in the face of stress. For example, the woman decided to show the world her extreme stretch marks, which she referred to as "front butt" and "dog jowls" because she knew people were interested and were afraid to ask. She also was filmed waking up one of the 8 kids to find the kid practically swimming in poop. What does she do? She picks up the baby and shows the disgusting mess to the camera while both laughing and cursing.

While we laugh at your lists, we support them. Especially when they read, "Make cookies, bring to Michele and Stephanie..."