Saturday

Calling myself out

So, a couple of months ago I rented Fantasia 2000 for Olivia hoping that it would allow her a more concrete vision for some admittedly challenging music for a three year old. Well, it worked too well. One of the lighter pieces was Rhapsody in Blue and I don't know if it was the animation or the music, but she went nuts for it. I had to pay my $.99 to iTunes for it because I couldn't get it to come up often enough on the satellite radio.

Today I took her to a program where a member of our local orchestra plays their instrument for kids and does a little talk and plays a little music. Well, it was the clarinet and she played the opening bars of. . .you guessed. I thought she was going to crap her pants, seriously. She starts jumping up and down screaming "Rhapsody in Blue!!" over and over. I see this poor musician, still playing just start staring at me. So I am trying to quiet her down and she is having a fit, now all the parents are looking at me and I am sure they are thinking, "How the hell can this kid recognize this song?" As a parent I have two options, play it off like, "Yeah, my kid's a prodigy, she has Gershwin memorized. Your kid doesn't know the alphabet? Oh so sorry. " Or I can own up to the fact that I planted my kid in front of a Disney movie and try and pretend that was okay because classical music was involved.

I chose to just let it ride and see what happened after the program was over. Which was Olivia running over to the musician and informing her of all the things that she ate while listening to Rhapsody in Blue. Then performing a strange impromtu dance. So there you have it. My reward for listening to all 16 minutes and 35 seconds of freaking Rhapsody in Blue three times a day for weeks has been that about a dozen parents out there think that I am either:

A) One of those psycho parents who drill their child in iconic jazz pieces.
B) I am the chagrined parent of an idiot savant who is obsessed with her own diet.

Karma is a bitch.

2 comments:

angieoh! said...

Since I have witnessed the impromptu dances before, I am thinking you made it sound much worse than the scene was. I bet they thought it was very cute.

so what did she eat? Hahahhah!

Barb said...

It's official. She's a musical prodigy. And conscious of her healthy, too!