Sunday

You can't return to Neverland

I have been excited about the re-release of Peter Pan, not only because I remember it fondly, but because Olivia loves anything pirate! This ensemble includes a hook and sword and is usually worn with her adorable skull and crossbones dress that I scored from H&M. So last night we rent it and I am shocked. Does anyone else remember Peter Pan being horribly racist and portraying all the women in the movies as completely shallow, two dimensional characters that exist to serve Peter Pan? There is actually a line about the "red-man" being cunning, but not intelligent. Granted the "red-man" wins in the end, but only with the help of Peter Pan.

Angie-do not even say it! I am not trying to be a PC freak, I know this was done in another time. I love Barbie as much as the next girl, and consider the stuff about her distorting my body image as complete bunk. Yet, by the end of Peter Pan I was furious. How do I reconcile watching a movie about a misogynist narcissist as entertaining? Yet, where does it end? Every Disney princess movie ever made is about a girl who wants nothing in this world other than to find herself a man to rescue her from her woes. Why are princesses always motherless? I don't want to be a killjoy, but how much of this stuff can a little girl take before it undermines all the women in her life that are doctors, lawyers, principals and professionals?

Note the irony of her being photographed in front of her princess castle!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

angieoh! said...

hmmm. I guess Liz, I am a tad offended that you would assume that I am a flaming anti PC racist. Well, I am at least anti PC, but not racist and I think there is a huge difference between Barbie (who ROCKS) and a movie that you clearly found offensive.

A few thoughts - you loved the movie and did not turn out racist.

Olivia is probably more interested in the pirate scenes than the sexual and racial overtones.

If you found it truly offensive - lose it and try and get her to forget about it.

I am personally opposed to most Disney movies. Tripe, in my humble opinion, with the exception of the Little Mermaid, which I think is clever and visually gorgeous.

bleck - could this comment be any more rambling? nope.

Liz Allman said...

I didn't think you were a racist, I know that you love to skewer me for taking things too seriously. I would make my argument for Beauty and the Beast being the one with redeeming qualities, at least Belle likes books.

Sadly, Peter Pan will be taken back to the Blockbuster, never to return here.

angieoh! said...

Fair enough. Beauty and the Beast? yuck. I will take a dancing lobster over a dancing candlestick any day!

:)

Liz Allman said...

You don't like him because he is French, you and your freedom fries.