Friday

Call me

I know this is one of those verboten things that a mother is never ever supposed to complain about and should always be grateful for. I am sure the following post is going to incur the wrath of the Fates and my child will grow to love only glitter make-up and "Road Rules" marathons, but here it goes:

Call me if you are able to assist with one of the following:

  • You know a children's book publisher. If part of the qualification for their job is you have read every single children's book published-EVER. They need to call me.
  • You are a child psychologist who studies children with some kind of disorder that forces them to read book after book after book-after book. You need to call me.
  • You are the news editor at the New York Times and you need a consultant on how to make your paper more pre-schooler friendly for those poor parents out there who are reading it to their children in a desperate attempt to get them to stop asking you to read to them. You need to call me most of all.
  • You are my parent or my father-in-law and you can explain to whether this is a gene pool thing and we did this as children. On second thought-you probably shouldn't call me. I will blame you for doing this to me. Then I will put your grandchild on the phone. She wants you to read a book to her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad read so well in kindergarten, his teacher used him as an assistant to read to the other kids while she worked with a few that needed more attention. To punish Chad, we sent him to his room for a "time out" without a book. If a book had gone along, the punishment would be worthless. It will just get worse, because after she can read, she will read every book she has to you constantly, expecting you to remember them completely particularly when she asks you about the picture while you are driving the car. Time to develop eyes in the back of your head so you can see where she is pointing on the picture. Remember this is only fair since you have made her answer questions about the pictures for you.

angieoh! said...

Do you know that I used to get in trouble for reading too much???? Or my dad would make me go outside to "run around" and I would sneak a book and hide in the woods?

Yes. Big Book Nerd, right here!

Liz Allman said...

Twin souls, my dad used to physically lock me out of the house. I quickly learned to hide the book in my pants on the way out the door.