Thursday

Rip the welcome mat from right out under them

The students are back. The down side of redoing the kitchen this summer is that the weather is so mild that I keep thinking that it is still June. Alas, I have missed my opportunity to sit in peace and quiet on the terrace and eat ice cream, to get a parking spot down town or claim a chair in the cafe at the Barnes and Noble. Today a simple trip across town was plagued with several near-death experiences as visiting parents and oblivious teenagers attempted to navigate Madison's streets for the first time. I was greeted with gorgeous views of trash piles dumped willy-nilly on the street and pedestrians wandering out into a 35 mph road nowhere near a crosswalk and giving YOU the dirty look.

I guess it is because i worked for families while i was in college that I always realized that Columbia was a real town where real people lived. Students here don't seem to get it that Madison does not completely revolve around the university. The state capitol employs far more people. i know I grouse about the students every year, but it makes me sad that I have to sift through these thousands of dead beats to find a baby sitter for my kid.

1 comment:

tina said...

i'm so sad that you don't think i won't babysit for Miss Olivia anymore. I'm a great babysitter :) And I've been around for YEARS, and am soooo much better than all those deadbeats (minus the fact that you did drop me off at the bar after one afternoon of babysitting) Playtime with Olivia helps me keep my sanity (and you yours!)