Sunday

For Lois


This is my totally crooked shot of Chad and Olivia in front of the Chicago River. I took this for Chad's grandmother, Lois, even though she is no longer with us. Lois was from Chicago and she was thrilled to death that by some odd karmic connection her California grandson managed to marry a Chicago girl. Lois was a Godsend to me in respect to Chad's family. Chad's family always made me vaguely nervous when we were first married, they had odd California hours, customs, they were even a different religion. Lois liked Fanny Mae kept Midwest hours, was wickedly funny and reminded me of my own grandfather. I miss her terribly, but I am grateful that she got to spend time with Olivia before she left us and Olivia quite obviously adored her. Lois always claimed it was because Olivia recognized her Midwest accent, but i think it was because she recognized a kindred spirit. Lois was tough cookie; she worked in the Loop when a lot women didn't work, and she liked it. She never bought the whole staying at home thing, but she was always accepting of my decision to do so.

Lois was happy that we decided to stay in the Midwest even though it meant being far away from her. So in her honor this weekend I took Olivia on her first trip where she was able to wander around solo in the city of her great-grandmother. We admired tall buildings, talked to pigeons, shouted to boaters and ate a hot dog. I love you, Lois. I promise that I am raising a tough cookie, a Chicago girl, just like you would have wanted.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: