Wednesday

Consumer Reports

So, I have some terrific friends, Sarah and Heather, who have also recently renovated their kitchen and they have been extremely generous about sharing info and just listening to me babble about what I may may or may not do about mine. If I were them I would hoard that information like a homeless person with a cart because it was hard won, but they are not me, thank God. So as a tribute to Sarah and Heather here are some products that I am loving from my remodel now.

1) Zak Confetti dishware in green. Completely recycled melamine in fun summer colors. Target has begun selling so much recycled dishware lately, that it makes me want to kiss them with tongue. Rumor has it that soon I will no longer have to go to Whole Foods for my Bambu disposable plates.

2) Pottery Barn Pillows-Blog readers meet my kitchen's color palette, palm pillows, meet my blog readers. This is a real departure for my house which is full of saturated colors. A little Florida without pukey pastels.

3) Marimekko blinds. Some little magical seamstress needs to appear at my door and use this fabric to make my blinds. What did Finland ever do to deserve Marimekko?
4) VOC free paint. So what if it doesn't come in 9 bajillion colors. My kitchen is white and it comes in that. Dries quicker and doesn't make your whole house smell like your lungs dying.
I like Madison store clerks here don't look at you like you are a big asshole when you ask them things like, is this sustainable? I have also learned all sorts of cool things about off-gassing and basically marvelled at the fact that I don't have cancer already. So think of me, dear readers, tomorrow when you are at work or home with your kids I will be paying someone lots and lots of money, but I will no longer have to fret about mearsuring, or cabinet choices. I will only fret about whether my choices and measurements were right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Liz, since I am finally mentioned by name, I now find your blog worthy of my insightful and amusing comments (although aren't they all?). That it was a positive reference was simply icing on the cake. I can't believe that more bleaders want to join the Wii fan club than mine along with the bonus of learning about consumer goods in NEED of good homes. Speaking of your new Wii, I'd not only stand but even let you win! We'd be delighted to help you out with your kitchen blinds. When I say we, I mean Sarah because despite our household having 4 sewing machines at the moment I don't go near any of them. And they'll technically be curtains not blinds because Slacker Sarah hasn't battled the Romans yet. If we had to cut corners here, we're cutting your corners too.

Liz Allman said...

You rock Heather. I have a step by step instruction guide to Roman blinds, I think we should force her to expand her skill set.