Sunday

You say you want a revolution

I do not love video games. I do not like computer games. In general I have banned my daughter from most screens and fought tooth and nail to keep her from the television. SO when we happened upon "teen hour" at the library this week I was slightly put off by the fact that this consists of the library setting up a Wii in our community room. I know that they are trying to get them in there any way that they can, but come on. Anyway, Olivia was down there in approximately two seconds to check the whole thing out. What did she find?

Dance Dance Revolution, or DDR to those in the know (don't think I didn't notice Rachel).

Olivia was all over that. I attempted to put her off by telling her it was only for the big kids, and I was promptly shouted down by the big kids who thought she was adorable. For those of you living under a rock, DDR is a game where you imitate a dancer on the screen while on a special mat and you are scored on the accuracy of your imitation. Olivia did quite well and had a great time, so the third wall of technology has fallen. I now have to avoid the library on Thursday afternoons so that I don't end up with a child that spends her days in sweaty isolation in mall arcades dancing to the greatest hits of the 90's.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost died trying to dance to a Kylie Minogue song on DDR. It's just like I always dreamed death would be.

Funny enough, did you know the conceptual title for the Wii was "Revolution".

Anonymous said...

Don't fight it, Liz. Just wait a decade or so and I'll pitch in an buy her the then-brand new virtual reality Grand Theft Auto. It'll be great.

Anonymous said...

When I go to trade shows now, I am very particular about what freebies I try to get (they have to be unique and useful to the reciprocate). If a company is giving away an Asus eeepc (great system!) or an Apple iTouch (also very nice but pricey), I always enter their contest, even if I have zero need for the company's products. In the past, I had no need for a WII, so I didn't drop off a card at those companies. Now that I have someone to give a Wii to, I will just have to drop off my business cards with those companies that are giving away a Wii. That being said, I dropped off my business card at almost 20 companies two weeks ago trying to win an iTouch and even though both shows were lightly attended (a clear sign of a recession since both shows were for important technologies), I didn't win an iTouch. But then again I have won a Tivo (which Chad ended up with), so there is always the chance Olivia may end up with a Wii. BTW - think of all the exercise she would get playing DDR. Now that I have a Fedex account, it won't be very expensive to re-ship the Wii I get.