Tuesday

Catching Air

Since Chad upgraded to the iPhone recently we have been in the Apple store quite a bit so Chad can "shop for accessories" otherwise known as chat with the employees about what cool stuff his phone can do. Well, that backfired on him when I caught a glimpse of the MacBook Air. It is so light I could throw it in my enormous Mom bag and have it everywhere with me. However, articles like this and this keep popping up that are dooming my quest to failure.

The quest for remodeling my kitchen continues and now that the interest rates have dropped so low, talking Chad into a home equity loan is as good as done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DO NOT BUY A MAC AIR!

Since I designed laptops for a living for a few years, I can tell you there is nothing really all that revolutionary about the air. Any laptop maker could do the same thing by eliminating most of the components that people actually want and use. In fact, I suspect that the Air was actually designed by Quanta Computer, therefore they will have a PC version available for Dell, HP and their other ODMs within the next six months. If you want a small, light laptop there are much better choices available right now and there will be more in the future.

Remember, to make a laptop really light, the designers have to make MAJOR, UGLY, design trade offs, so every light laptop will be suboptimal from a usage point of view.

I provide technology consulting to family members at a reduced rate (or just have the kid ask me and get the info for free).

Anonymous said...

But that's like saying any MP3 maker can make an iPod. Yes, in 2001 (and ever since) any big company had access to the requisite parts, but it's hard to put it all together into a total gorgeous, functional, desirable package. The Air isn't intended, or marketed, for everyone, but finally (i) it's beautiful, (ii) light, and (iii) runs Mac OS X. I'm betting that Apple has a pretty darn good idea of what their target audience wants, and will pay for.