Wednesday

Hard Day's Night

So this week we are feeling a little beaten down by the weather. After the hot water handle, the garbage disposal, yesterday I am driving and come to a slow stop because of the slick roads and part of my roof rack comes sliding down my windshield and scared the crap out of me.

This is all a precursor to saying that we have been letting Olivia watch some evening tv this week. In addition to Super Tuesday election coverage, we all sat down and watched about twenty minutes of Hard Day's Night. It was actually an awesome experience. Olivia knows the Beatles' music of course, but this was the first time she had seen images of them singing it. Though Chad and I can still remember a time when you never actually saw people performing music unless you were at a live show, Olivia understands no such universe. Our children's librarian and I actually had a long talk about how kids today might not actually be able to tackle long chapter books (like Charlotte's Web) until they are much older because the lack of pictures is a much larger hurdle than it was for my generation.

Anyway, it was an awesome experience because, well, it was the Beatles. Chad and I both been big Beatles fans from childhood probably and we loved watching the movies in college, the dry, irrevrant humor is still hilarious. Plus they have the best soundtrack ever. Mostly, is was that perfect moment that every parent dreams of when they get to share something they truly love with their child, and the child totally gets it. We rocked it out together, saying things like, "Olivia this is the greatest rock band OF ALL TIME."

And after weeks of long hours, bad colds, terrible weather, there is no pick me up like singing at the top of your lungs, "But when I get home to you, you know that thing that you do, it makes me feel all right."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking me back to that night when I was 15 and watching the Ed Sullivan Show(WHO???? to your generation)."I want to hold your hand"----yeah the greatest.

John said...

Go Liz, Chad and Of Course Miss "O",
Enjoy...
hope the snow stops eventually.
Take care,
John