Wednesday

Ho, Ho, Oh Just Forget It

Well the day I have been waiting for for six weeks has finally come. This morning I woke up and remembered that i hate Christmas. I really do, I have never liked it. I am sure there are many reasons for it. As a kid, like most modern families, I had to juggle the families of three parents instead of two, my mom is a nurse which means there are no true holidays because she always works and so on and so forth. Now that i am an adult I really resent the implication that there is one perfect gift that proves that no matter what happened all year you really know and love someone. I get a little Charlie Brown this time of year. I see Christmas as more work with less help since my spouse, like most non-governmental workers has his busiest time of year from November to January. Eventually I just get burned out.

I thought this year was going to be different. We got a head start, our gifts were bought with relative ease, there were no disputes about where to get our tree, our budget or really anything. We were organized, we planned extra activities because everything was going so well. Then the wheels fell off the wagon. I got sick, I got behind the schedule and the fights finally began about who is responsible for what, who really wanted to do the activities that were planned, and who was going to do the extra work needed to get through to C-Day. The dread about eating my mother's cooking, the inevitable disappointment with the gifts my parents and siblings give me that reveal that they don't really know me at all and the realization that the two days that I will be childless isn't enough time to unpack all the crap, certainly not enough time to do anything fun.

Christmas time is here. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe we need to do something fun and girly when Olivia is with your mom...I would offer a night of drinking, but we know that isn't an option.

Anonymous said...

Bah humbug baby girl. Maybe you should find coal in your stocking and warmed over Taco Bell at your mother's. But I loved my gift from you.