Thursday

Au Revoir 171

Chad's childhood friend Ryan arrives today, and by childhood I mean these two have been friends since they were eight. I had no idea that these kind of friendships existed until I met Chad, I thought that they only existed in movies. I digress. The reason that we have to say au revoir to my hard-earned 171 pounds is that Ryan's partner DJ wants a boat load of crap for Christmas. When asked what he wanted for Christmas this year he replied that they wanted nothing-except me to cook their favorite foods when they came to visit.

Here is the favorite food list as it was e-mailed to me:

- macaroni and cheese
- boneless and skinless fried chicken breasts
- meatloaf
- mashed potatoes
- green bean cassarole
- home made pie (whatever your specialty is, if there
is one
- beef stew
- chicken and dumplings
- spaghetti

Since he gave me this list e-mails have come through requesting banana bread, brownies, cornbread and everything be wrapped in bacon.

I ask you, how do two boys born and raised in the land of abundant produce and healthy living learn to eat like this? They claim that they never would move here, that may change once they are here and realize that everyone in the Midwest eats like this. Unless, of course, they are trying to be 170 pounds!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it, Liz! Mike is terrified because we have to visit my Midwestern family over the holidays, mere days before his final fitness challenge weigh-in and measurements the first week of January. We love them dearly, but my mom's cooking is the most delicious form of death ever. Last visit, she made mac n' cheese from the Paula Deen cookbook. It had buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, cheese...the works! How you can combine all that and not pull a living, breathing cow out of the oven when it's finished is beyond me.

daimon said...

You know, in Mississippi and Alabama, macaroni and cheese is considered a vegetable.

No joke. Lot's of places offer a main dish and your choice of two or three "vegetables." Among these are always: fried okra, collard greens cooked in pork fat, beens with chunks of ham and macaroni and cheese.