Monday

Revolving door

So this was my living room today. I took all this down to the laundry room, washed it, and put it right back in the suitcase to leave for Florida on Thursday. I can now do solo flights with Olivia in my sleep. So much so that on my pro/con list for having more children actually included "Would be harder to fly alone." So for all of you parents who fly with children, or for all of you who haven't flown recently here are my top 10 things I need for a smooth flight.

1) Cash-Chad disputes this because he hates to carry it, but this is a holdover from my childhood when my Grandpa always put $10 in my purse to fly home.

2) Curb-side check-in-Since 9/11 this has been more of a challenge because people have caught on to the fact that they can skip the long lines inside. However, just for the convenience of not having to haul luggage, car seats and strollers, curb-side is a life saver.

3) Banana bread-A healthy, homemade snack is a must have in the days of no more airplane food and iffy layover times.

4) Baby wipes-Even though Olivia is potty trained wipes are a must to clean sticky hands, sticky trays, or just to clean up when the line for the sink is a mile long.

5) Empty water bottle-Now that they will no longer let you carry water through security this is a must have so you can save yourself buying water.

6) Slip on shoes-You now have to take off your shoes to go through security no matter what, so make it easy on yourself.

7) Thin magazines like Newsweek or The Week-A magazine that is too bulky or a book is hard to read with one hand and one of my hands is inevitably propping up a sleeping child.

8) Something new-Whether it be a new book for the kid, or a new cardigan for you the stresses and aggravation of flying are quickly dispelled when you are rubbing brand new cashmere.

9) A spoonful of honey-To be used on your flight attendant. They aren't as helpful as they used to be. Let's face it, they are doing more flights for less pay and they aren't happy about it. However, a pleasant passenger is a bright spot in their day and friendly chit chat has gotten me everything from toys and games for Olivia to all of my carry-ons strapped to their luggage and carried to the next gate to meet a tight connection.

10) Endurance and your own blanket-Whether it be running around in cirlces to get the wiggles out on layovers, starting over with all the toys and trying to make something new out of them because you have been stuck on the runway for three hours (oh yes, I have done that) and of course, the blanket is for naps all around.

I am debating hiring myself out as a plane nanny.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

angieoh! said...

Liz, I have one more thing to add - Origins "Peace of Mind" it is minty stress relief and even on a gross smelly plane, it helps me relax.