Monday

Learning to let go

So I had a terrible revelation yesterday when I was confronted with that friend who boldly and openly admitted that she did not clean her house. It was like the whole revealing your weight thing for me. You never admit that you don't clean!! It is like saying that you put your kid in front of Dora and read a magazine (which I am not admitting to). It is just not done. I fretted about it all day. It was all the stages of grief: 1) She's exaggerating, she has to clean 2) Who the hell does she think she is? 3) Finally, oh my god how many hours have i wasted cleaning my house? What have I done with my life?

So today I devised a new life plan which I revealed to my husband at a totally inappropriate time so my feedback consisted of, "Olivia toilet paper belongs only in the toilet!" Ironically, the new life plan has nothing in it about cutting back on housework. It may be a sickness. Perhaps I have dodged generations of addiction with a well scrubbed tub and too many candy bars.

What's the life plan? I think I still need to build up a little confidence before I go public, but I think that for most people who know me it was an inevitable plan.

4 comments:

Barb said...

You've peaked my curiosity, Liz.

I have to admit--I don't spend hours and hours cleaning. We pick up almost every day. Honestly? We only clean hardcore when company is coming.

Liz Allman said...

Let's clarify, I do not spend hours cleaning everyday. But I spend probably an hour and half a day cleaning up after meals, doing laundry, picking up. On Monday and Thursday mornings it is like three hours doing the heavy cleaning. I also have a small person who makes lots of messes and I cook three meals a day everyday.

I don't think that's excessive, but maybe it is?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to make you reconsider your day! Let me clarify that I do clean up after meals and try to keep our kitchen clean. But I've given up on the living room and the sunroom. The rest of the house stays pretty neat unless someone (namely the man in my life) makes a mess. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do enjoy a clean house...how to reconcile?

Liz Allman said...

I would say a housekeeper, but I fear that I would not fare well with a housekeeper simply because my mother tried it once and declared anyone's cleaning but her own sub-standard. That sickness may be genetic. i am getting to the point where I am willing to give it try. Now I just have to be able to afford it. . .