Thursday

Protesting Facebook

SO I was trying to get info about the Prop 8 protest in Madison on Saturday (12:30 Library Mall be there or be square) and the whole thing was set up via Facebook page so I finally sucked it up and made one. Facebook scares the living shit out of me. I don't get, it seems like a lot of totally superficial info screaming at you all at once and I am not totally sure what to do with it. The blog has soothing colors and it is only me screaming at you. Not other people and their pictures and people I knew in high school and haven't thought about in fifteen years.

So please inform me what I am supposed to be doing with such a thing. Then get yourself to the nearest Prop 8 rally, keep the dialog going, go to the blacklist and find out what businesses gave money to it and boycott them, put it on your Facebook page, and tell your friends. If we can elect a black president surely we can let two adults get married.

3 comments:

Sean said...

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of dialog going on. A lot of this dialog would have been helpful prior to the vote. Now it's just some people yelling at others and vice versa. The majority that voted for the Prop are being yelled at, vandalized, boycotted and even physically hurt. None of those lead to dialog. Pissing off the people that voted yes will only make them want to vote yes again. Trying to reason with those that voted yes might help sway them in 2010. I doubt there will be very much dialog at that rally. I bet instead there will be a lot of rhetoric and scapegoating.

Lori Hickman said...

Welcome to Facebook, Liz!

Liz Allman said...

Well I am sorry to hear that there wasn't a lot of dialog about it there, but there certainly was here and on the national news. I think a lot of people got involved with calling and education (including your dad), they were just vastly outspent. i can sympathize with people being denied civil rights being angry and protests and boycotts worked well to gain civil rights and equal rights for women in this country. I see no reason why it shouldn't work again.

If not, the sue to get them, and they'll win.