Thursday

Halloweaned

So this week has been a little exhausting. In most respects Olivia is not mine. She does not look like me, talk like me or share any of my interests. In fact, at the ripe age of four she already takes any opportunity possible to spite or spurn me. Think I'm kidding? Just ask her father whom she looks and talks like and if he said that his new favorite activity was eating garbage off the street she would say, "Yum Daddy! Discarded ATM receipts are my favorite!"

So it is a little shocking that Olivia loves Halloween every bit as much as I do. Until I began to suspect that she is trying to love it so much as to make me hate it. One craft is not enough, it must be ten crafts, one special Halloween meal is not enough, there must be two, there is one corner in the house that remains undecorated! Every single one of her friends needs a personalized Halloween treat bag! At first, I tackled it with gusto, just excited to be enjoying something together instead of fantasizing about fifteen minutes and a roll of duct tape. However, as I finish the ugliest pink cape known to man and the "eyeball" meatballs tonight I am breathing a little sigh of relief that tomorrow it will all be over.

Because next is Thanksgiving and I already can't stand that damn holiday.

No comments: