Wednesday

Culture Wars

The two hot topics of debate in our household this week have not been about politics, but about icons of pop culture. My parents insisted that we see Across the Universe this weekend, knowing that there are not too many bigger Beatles fans than the two of us. I was pleased with the movie overall, but it has sparked huge debates over the best Beatles songs of all time and how, if at all, Beatles songs should be rearranged. I, personally, am a George. While My Guitar Gently Weeps is my vote for best song, White Album best album. Chad is a Paul through and through. Early stuff like Revolver, or the happy-go-lucky songs on Abbey Road are his picks. i should note, however, that we both have a huge crush on John and consider him the most talented by far.

On the heels of this is Good magazine's article about whether or not The Catcher in the Rye should still be a part of high school curriculum. Snap! If there is one thing that gets up going like The Beatles it's novels of teenage angst and nostalgia for our teenage years when we were still cool. My vote is for yes, but I think the author of the article makes an excellent point that if we don't start injecting some ethnic diversity into the curriculum we are going to start losing the kids fast. After all, teenagers are seeing a lot more cultural, ethnic, religious diversity today than we ever did. Salinger's writing is still timeless to me, and lacks the jaded sarcasm so prevalent in modern novels of teenage angst.

So, how goes it blog readers? Want to engage in a throw down? Salinger, one note crank? White Album was a bunch of noise? Bring it on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been a long time since I read Catcher in the Rye. But I disagree that the novel can't be relevant to teens today. I read it as a teenager in the 90s, well past the point that it should have been relevant to me and my peers, and yet it resonated with me in a way few other novels did. I felt like I understood Holden, at least a little. I also remember feeling moved at the end of the book to discover that for all of his exxagerated bravado, he was still a scared, confused boy. That's the real power of the story, I think: to see beyond the fronts that people display to the outside world.

I will encourage Olivia to read it when she becomes an angsty teenager, regardless of whether it's on her reading list.