Saturday

Second Coming

I am deeply ambiguous about the holiday that celebrates the most important component of my religion. I love Easter and how it is what I associate with the beginning of Spring, but I no longer want to celebrate it. I have been trying to flex some religious muscle in my household and mandate that if we are going to celebrate the holiday that we need to celebrate the reason behind the holiday. So far it is not going too well. Chad is okay with celebrating Christmas at church because he likes the music, Easter doesn't have too many catchy ditties. Also, i have become a little disgusted at how Easter has turned into a second Christmas with toys, videos, candy all in the stores weeks ahead of time.

I guess what makes sense is Chad's argument to just secularize it or return it to it's pagan roots as a rite of Spring, but frankly that whole Easter Bunny thing has never made sense to me. Christmas is easy, olivia and I followed the Advent, but Easter is kind of brutal and difficult for a four year old. Plus, there is no cool and user-friendly kids Easter Mass. So I compromised by going to my mother's where I can forcibly drag one of my siblings to mass with olivia and I and i bought candy only for Chad.

I just hope olivia doesn't want specifics on this whole Easter Bunny thing.

No comments: