Sunday

Holy vodka tonics, Batman!

I guess by now you have noticed a significant fall off in postings and I have only vodka tonics to blame. Last night was Chad's annual "holiday" party that had been rescheduled due to bad weather around the holidays. Chad's firm actually has two of these a year and they basically open bar booze fests. You think that I am exaggerating? let's put it this way, the thing runs from 5:30 to 11, plus a pre-cocktail hour and an after bar when the party is over. Just in case five and half hours wasn't enough open bar time. In years past I have escaped relatively unscathed, and or, used my small child as an excuse to duck out early. This year my wingman deserted me in a desert of mostly people I didn't know for two and half hours. Oh, you read right, hours. Well ,people I didn't know and his assistant, who likes to have a good time. It was a lot of being handed drinks, some boredom and the insecurity of being left with strangers that landed me on my bathroom floor booting it six, maybe seven drinks later. I haven't booted it since college, and even then only once. I didn't have to wake up for a four year-old then, yeah that hurt.

I remember most of it, and I can confidently say that I did nothing truly embarrassing at the party and saved my barbed booze humor (oh yeah, it gets even more dark and sarcastic the more I drink) for people I was friendly with, so overall the only person who suffered was my husband. And me, very much me.

So a little slow on the uptake today.

5 comments:

Sling said...

You're funny!..
I like your blog.

Sean said...

I love stories of "My Sister - the Anti-Drug Example." It reminds me why I don't drink (because I probably couldn't hold my liquor either.)

Liz Allman said...

Yes, I strive to be a cautionary tale.

tina said...

i'm sad i didn't get to kid-sit miss olivia, so then i could have seen the drunkeness that is liz! :) and you know i would've appreciated it, since you guys have dropped me off at the bars after watching olivia!!

Anonymous said...

Wait - is boot your crazy northern slang for vomit? I can't believe you've only done that twice in all the years between the start of college and now. I suppose in college I booted enough for both of us.