Tuesday

Crafting With Special Needs

Why I cannot do any kind of craft has alluded me my whole life. I am creative, detail oriented, meticulous and patient, so why scrapbooking or paper crafts, pottery, embroidery or any of the thousands of things I have tried in my life never turn out well I have never understood until last week. I was loading my aunt's dishwasher when I realized that I realy sucked at it. I have always sucked at loading my own dishwasher (and my mother's), but I thought it was because they were old models ill suited to my modern dish sizes. No, I just suck at loading the dishwasher, and and all the brain teaser puzzles and understanding anything my father in law tries to explain to me about, well anything really. I have no spatial reasoning, and apparently no auditory memory.

I found this shocking that an art history major with a minor in interior design has no spatial reasoning. I didn't suck at either of those things. Yet, I could not put together the advent calendar above. It was not terribly complicated, if I had a series of pictures demonstrating how it went together i would have been fine. Heck, you could have just flashed a series of photos in front of me really fast and asked me what was in them, I'd rock that. Alas, I had a written description so I ended up begging my poor, more spatially gifted husband to help me. Then I still ended up putting on the roof backwards.

So to Martha Stewart Crafts, I implore you, please address the special needs of visual learners and throw a few more photos in those instructions. Don't continue to embarass me in front of my child. She is already really pissed that her advent calendar doesn't contain candy like in the photo on the box.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A+++ for even attempting the project! It looks pretty good to me. I may be able to load a dishwasher but an Advent calendar---no way.

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_savant

Liz Allman said...

The wikipedia is a sickness, Brad.