Friday

Photographing faith


All right, I will admit to being a sucker for the photo challenges so here are my faith photos. I took these all in New Orleans quite a few years ago and whenever I think of the nitty gritty aspects of faith I think of these photos and New Orleans. When I was a senior in high school I was assigned a partner and we were to choose any book on the AP reading list and make a presentation to class on the book involving a visual aide. I was super lucky and got the best artist in class. Naturally, we chose Dante's Inferno and decided to make "Seven Levels of Hell-The Board Game."
New Orleans always makes me think of the drawings she made for that game. Dark, decay sin and the desire to reach redemption. No other city I have ever been to embraces man's original sin status like New Orleans. They don't revel in it (except during Mardi Gras, I imagine) like they do in Vegas, it is just a fact of life. They whole city is falling apart, the state of your soul should be no different. Yet, New Orleans is the only place I have ever spontaneously attended Mass. 6 AM in Jackson Square, I just felt like I needed to be there. I knew that I had a long way to go to redemption but I took that picture and I thought if I was going to find it anywhere it would be there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I continue to learn more about you each day. Thank you for this blog,Elizabeth.