Sunday

Everything That Is Fall



It is officially Fall here today because we went to the farm, picked pumpkins and apples, cooked Chad's Fall favorite of chicken and dumplings from scratch and started the Halloween decorating. We also have a trial menu in place for Thanksgiving.

For anyone who doesn't live here in Madison, Chad and I started cooking a pre-Thanksgiving dinner for all our friends in our last year of college and have done it ever since. We have cooked for as many as thirty and as few as six the year we were in DC. It started as a lark and has evolved to the biggest pain in my neck of all time. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook for my friends, but I hate to cook with my husband. Our style and manner of cooking and planning for a big event like this are completely polar opposite and can't believe that we make it through every year without divorce. It is a high speed collision of Type A and Type B. I like to plan everything, and do, from the grocery list by aisle to a detailed time table and task list starting three days out. I am also incredibly frugal so groceries come from three different stores depending on sales, etc. I am a nervous cook and like to do a trial run of everything before I serve it to guests.

Chad could care less about all of the above. Seriously, he plans nothing. This year there are a few dishes that exist sans recipe. He also cannot be the sous chef EVER. If you ask him to help you with a dish, he will have taken it over in exactly 4.7 seconds.

I can't kill him with a kitchen knife and make it look like an accident this year, his father is coming. I like to think that when it all comes together it is worth it and we have a great time, but considering I just turned a perfectly nice post about fabulous Fall into a crazy rant about cooking with my husband, I think that MAY not be true.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and I was feeling bad about missing it.

angieoh! said...

I love your thanksgiving, even though Mike and I have not been able to make it for a few years.

I mostly love the craziness of it so don't try and whip that out of Chad, it is kind of endearing to the rest of us to see you two fight it out!

:)

Liz Allman said...

So glad we amuse you . . .

Anonymous said...

"Midwest!" has never been screamed as loudly as it is from these photos.