Thursday

The Downside of Blogging

So here is the downside of blogging, and well, the internet in general. I now use it to procrastinate everything, sadly even things I want to do, and I'll tell you why. I no longer work in the traditional sense of the word. My aunt and I were talking while I was in Florida about how we, as formerly competent and intellegent women with busy jobs and lives are now suddenly overwhelmed by the very small commitments of housework and social functions. We laughed at how our former ability to juggle a much more demanding lifestyle had somehow been obliterated.

Sitting on this couch right now I know how it happened. The smaller my world got, the more perfect it had to be. Type A me who used to settle for a lot of things just being really good, now feels like I have to make things that can never be perfect like my child, my housekeeping, my sparkling conversation, absolutely 100% perfection. It has gotten to the point of being overwhelming, there is no point in getting off the couch if I cannot come up with a way to get everything done today. I have been waiting for that stroke of genius about how to make it all happen, waiting on the couch in front of my computer.

So I want to hear everyone's motivation techniques, how do you get off the couch? I expect some rowdy and fun comments from this crowd. Seriously, if you have been reading Brad's blog make sure you are reading the comments, funnier still. "I don't think I just do." Priceless.

2 comments:

angieoh! said...

Getting off the couch? Not my strongest suit. I find that I try to do things to dummy lazy proof my life.

Have printed grocery lists...super strictly follow routines. etc.

Yell at my husband until he does the dishes or some other dreaded chore, no I don't do that... that one was a trick.

Anonymous said...

Anger motivates me. And, if given the time, I can get angry about almost anything. Now, almost everybody who knows me will say, "But Brad, you're so easygoing and friendly." Trick is, I bottle it all in and use the energy to accomplish my goals. If I've ever done a really, really good job cleaning something, it's because I was pissed.