Friday

Saying Grace

Yesterday I took Olivia to the hospital for what turned out to be her final appointment to the urologist. After three years Olivia has two kidneys that are the exact same size. It is one of those things that you never thought could be that big of a deal, but the minute that it is your baby, well you worry. A lot. I remember the day the doctor told us that Olivia had two different sized kidneys. I called my mother and cried, for an hour. They are so tiny and so helpless, it doesn't matter if it isn't your fault and there was nothing that you could have done to prevent it. You never stop blaming yourself when it is your baby.

Yesterday, we got to hug our wonderful nurses and our physician's assistant who has seen Olivia since the week she was born. Tricia called it graduation day. We laughed and waved goodbye, we did not stop at the desk to make a follow up appointment. Then Olivia went to say goodbye to all her friends in the waiting room. So many kids waiting for their day to come, so many parents suffering through things that we can only imagine. My heart and thoughts will always be with them, and I will never forget how lucky I am to have a healthy, happy child.

The sentiment is not lost on me that this is Easter weekend. This is the weekend where I was raised to believe that second chances happen, miracles are real and God's grace will come to all who earn it. I hope it comes for those kids, fast

1 comment:

angieoh! said...

Oh Liz. That is just beautiful. Congratulations healthy Olivia. I am tearing up here but she truly is an answered prayer. Love her and you guys - have a happy Easter.