Friday

Doctor Duty

Olivia has strep throat. It is the first really serious illness that she has ever had (except for our five crazy days in the ER the summer after she was born) and it is a true test of how well Chad and I do in scary situations. For instance, I panic. When Olivia wandered into my room at 1 AM and I realized her temp was 104 (she topped out at 105.5), my first reaction was ER. Chad, thank goodness, recognized my need to panic and very calmly and reasonably talked me out of the crazy tree. So now my normally boisterous baby is staring glassy-eyed at the tv.

Now that I know what is wrong with her I am doing much better. I am methodical about administering medicines, keeping track of how much fluid is going in and out coming up with creative ways to keep her entertained in bed, etc. I am a good nurse. Chad, on the other hand is a great decision-maker, yes or no to more Advil, yes or no to solids, yes or no to going outside. It's the same when we cook, I am always the sous-chef. A little unexpected given Chad and I's personalities, but true.

I've actually gotten her to sleep for a stretch so I am going to go shower so that I won't small like vomit anymore. I might get to see my husband tonight for the first time in five days so I am very excited!!!

1 comment:

Cate said...

I would have panicked too. I think it's part of our make up as mothers. How is Olivia feeling today (Monday)?)?